This has been the most requested recipe ever on my Instagram.
Since today’s the first day of fall, I decided it would be a good day to finally share the recipe! My friend Jerry first introduced me to the concept of apple pizza, a few years ago. Since then, I’ve made many different versions. Here’s the most recent version (it probably won’t be the last apple pizza you see on this blog)!
Autumn Apple Pesto Pizza
(makes 2 pizzas)
Total time: about 1 hour
- your favorite pizza crust, or my basil pizza crust (recipe here)
- spinach pesto (blend the following together in a food processor, adjusting to your taste):
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3-4 cloves garlic (about 1 heaping tablespoon)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (and more as needed)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (heaping)
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T lime juice (and more to taste)
- 1 apple, sliced (aim for 1/8″ slices, since these will be layered)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Roll out the pizza dough into two crusts. I like thinner crusts, so I made mine about 1/4″ thick. I chose an oval shape for both of mine.
- Spread the pesto evenly on each crust. You may have some leftover–use it in pasta or spread it on toast! After spreading the pesto, you can pinch the edges of the crust to create a crust or leave it crustless for an even more rustic look.
- Layer the apple slices on the pizzas in a design that pleases you. I started from the outside and worked my way in. There is no right or wrong way to do this. 🙂
- Sprinkle the red onions on the pizzas–use as much or as little as you like.
- Bake the pizzas at 450 degrees F for at least 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden.
- Enjoy! I brought this to class and shared it with my studio mates and my professor. I got good reviews. ^.^
Hope you enjoyed today’s double dose of sweet and savory pizzas.
Please let me know if you tried the recipe! I have some more fun things planned for this week’s #VeganMofo posts, so stay tuned!