Last week on Instagram for #VeganMofo, I shared a shot with my favorite late summer food: fresh, ripe peaches. It was the aftermath of the recipe I’m about to share with you.
I celebrated the end of summer with this sweet and savory pizza, made with all seasonal ingredients. Gather up your very last summer peaches and some basil from the garden!
The juicy, fragrant peaches are complimented by the rich mozzarella, and the tart raspberry balsamic reduction brings everything together, but I must say, the fresh basil truly elevates the experience…do not skip the basil! I would aim for some fresh basil in each bite. 🙂
Late Summer Peach Pizza
inspired by the end of summer and Cooking Classy
(makes 2 small pizzas for 4-5 servings)
Total time: about 1 hour
- your favorite pizza crust, or my basil pizza crust (recipe below)
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- salt, pepper & smoked paprika
- vegan mozzarella (I used Teese, but they’re discontinuing their cheese to focus on Dandie’s! I think Miyoko’s Buffalo Style Mozzarella would work beautifully here–that would be my first choice, followed by Follow Your Heart’s Mozzarella)
- 1 large ripe peach
- balsamic reduction (recipe here–I used a raspberry balsamic vinegar with some maple syrup)
- fresh basil, for serving
Basil Pizza Crust
(makes 2 crusts)
- 1/2 cup + 1 T warm water
- 1/2 package rapid rise yeast
- 1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 2 t olive or grapeseed oil
- Mix the warm water and rapid rise yeast together in a bowl and set aside for a few minutes.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients (except basil) in a medium bowl.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the water and yeast mixture into it. Add the olive oil and throw in the basil. Mix well with your hands.
- Add more flour/water as needed. Knead for a few minutes, until the dough is smooth and easy to work with. Separate into two balls of dough.
Now for the pizza…
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Roll out the pizza dough into two crusts, about 1/4″ thick. I chose an oval shape for both of mine. You can pinch the edges to create a crust or leave it crustless for an even more rustic look.
- Brush the crusts with some olive oil. Sprinkle with the minced garlic, some sea salt and pepper.
- Slice the mozzarella into about 1/8″ thick slices (doesn’t have to be totally exact). Layer them over the crusts.
- Slice the peaches, to your preference. I cut mine a little over 1/4″ thick.
- Layer the peaches over the mozzarella. Sprinkle some smoked paprika on them.
- Bake the pizzas at 450 degrees F for at least 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden.
- Chiffonade some fresh basil and sprinkle it on the pizzas. Serve with a drizzle of balsamic reduction. I highly recommend using a raspberry balsamic reduction!
- Enjoy! 🙂
Here’s another view of the aftermath because I love it so much…
Come back later today for another fruity pizza recipe, to celebrate the beginning of fall (yes, two recipes in one day)!