Chocolate bark is one of my favorite things to make for the holidays! In the past, I have often sprinkled crushed candy canes on top of my chocolate bark, but I’ve been wanting to use healthier toppings. I’ve also been inspired by this healthy chocolate base without refined sugars!
I immediately thought of pomegranates and pistachios for toppings–the colors are perfect for Christmas and they go well with chocolate!
Pomegranates are loaded with Vitamin C, can help your body fight cancer, and improve your metabolism! Pistachios are packed with nutrients, fiber and healthy fats, plus they’re rich in cancer-fighting vitamin E.
Not only are these ingredients gorgeous, they are rich in immune-boosting antioxidants, minerals and vitamins! Why would I not want to sprinkle my chocolate with them? Superfoods > crushed candy. 🙂
The resulting bark was beautiful in both appearance and taste–silky-smooth, rich chocolate, accompanied by refreshing bursts of juicy, tart pomegranate arils, and finally, a nice crunch from the pistachios! I was amazed at the contrast and harmony of it all. Love!
This bark is very rich and flavorful, so it’s very satisfying even if you just have a bite or two.
Christmas Superfood Bark
Featuring Pomegranate + Pistachio
(Makes about 1 dozen medium pieces of bark)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 2-3 hours
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (plus extra, to taste)
- pinch of sea salt
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, at room temp (scant/this can be adjusted to your taste!)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pomegranate arils (at least 1/4 a cup)
- 1 tablespoon toasted pistachios, lightly crushed
- Line 1 large rectangular container with wax/parchment paper, covering all the sides. I used a glass baking pan that was probably about 15” x 10”. The size depends on how thick you want your bark to be! My bark came out to be about 1/8” thick, at the most.
- Sift cocoa powder and sea salt into a large bowl.
- Combine the liquid ingredients together in a separate bowl. Whisk well and add the liquids to the bowl with the cocoa powder. Whisk thoroughly until well combined. Add more cocoa powder or maple syrup to your taste.
- Pour your chocolate into your lined container.
- Evenly sprinkle pomegranate arils on the chocolate. Be generous! I used a lot, a little over 1/4 a cup for sure! Next, sprinkle the crushed pistachios on the chocolate until you are visually satisfied.
- Set the chocolate in the fridge for at least a couple of hours until it’s firmly solid. I let mine sit overnight.
- Break your bark into rustic-looking pieces and store in a pretty glass container for gifting and/or entertaining! Store the bark in the fridge until right before you need it! You can also stir a piece or two into your oatmeal to treat yourself to a very merry breakfast—mm, amazing!
Share the chocolate with your friends and family! I gave some to my friends and they described it as magic. Success!
- Raw Chocolate Bark (pureandsimple.typepad.com)
- 13 Reasons to Love Pomegranates (care2.com)
- Why You Should go Nuts for Nuts (everydayhealth.com)
- Top 10 Superfoods (joybauer.com)
- Superfood Bark (mywholefoodlife.com)
- Superfood Truffles (mariamarlowe.com)