Waking up early to make a healthy breakfast is such a chore. Thankfully, Pinterest has led me to the discovery of an easy breakfast solution for people on the go: overnight oats!
This breakfast be prepared in just a few minutes the night before, with no cooking required. It’s perfect for students and busy folks. Overnight oats are usually eaten cold, but these days, I like a warm breakfast, so I will be heating mine up in the morning.
This is like hot chocolate in oatmeal form–something I know I can wake up to!
Overnight Hot Chocolate Oats
Prep time: 5 minutes
Wait time: 3 hours +
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk (I used almond milk!)
- up to 1.5 T cocoa powder (you can adjust according to your preference)
- 1 T chia seeds (optional)
- 2 t maple syrup (or to your taste; you can taste and add more in the morning if you want)
- a few semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- a dash of cinnamon
- Mix everything together in a bowl or a mug, cover and let it sit in the fridge overnight while you sleep, or at least three hours (lookin’ at you, night owls!).
- In the morning, stumble to the fridge, take out your oats, and warm them up before devouring. I added some pecans to mine and it was awesome.
I like my oatmeal a little thick, but if you find it’s too thick, feel free to add another splash or two of almond milk. This recipe is super adaptable, so if something is not to your taste, just adjust!
If chocolate isn’t your first choice for breakfast, then
A. I doubt your sanity, and
B. Check out these recipes on Buzzfeed for more flavor variations!
What are your favorite easy breakfast solutions? Please share with me in the comments below!